Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Second Trimester!

Yay! I've reached the second trimester. And to christen it, I've acquired a horrible cold. Yuck!

On another note, last night we told the kids about the new baby. Actually, my 9 year old daughter guessed when we said that we had something to tell them. Silly, insightful girl! It is really neat how in a big family, no one is upset by the thought of another sibling to share with... another person to take care of. They are all thrilled, wondering if it will be a boy or girl - and I think most votes are out for another boy so we are "even".

So just to make it clear, I'm not the type of person to wait out the first trimester for worry that I might miscarry. Even though I've had 1 miscarriage, I would prefer to have my family/friends supporting me if something did go wrong - then they would understand the situation. Our reasons for waiting this time were that we have had an incredible amount happening in our lives in the past few months - our nephew was living with us for 5 months (he just left yesterday), my husband had a major career change and we are thinking of selling our house/moving. Ah... so much stress! It actually surprised me that I could get pregnant with all that stress going on, but this baby has a purpose, obviously! Also, the fact that this will be the closest age difference between any of my children makes it interesting. I figured my fertility was supposed to slow down with time, not pick up!

As far as how I'm feeling - I can feel a lot of growth in my uterus in the past couple weeks. I can feel my fundus just a couple inches below my belly button now. I have been a little more nauseous in the past few days - but mostly because I also have a cold and I'm tired and that makes me more susceptible to nausea. Oh well, hopefully I feel better really soon!

I've been feeling a little strange this time around since I haven't seen a doctor or midwife. Normally I would have heard the heartbeat by now, and in that sense, it seems a little surreal. But I can feel the growth and change in my body and I've been here before! I just look forward to feeling the baby move in the next few weeks! I also did purchase a second-hand "Angel Sounds" home doppler. I know there are concerns/risks for ultrasound and doppler technology, but I think what I plan to do is use it very sparingly. And although I could probably use it now to find the baby's heartbeat, I think I will wait a few more weeks - I know that the majority of concerns with doppler technology has to do with frequency of use and use in early pregnancy. So I'm thinking around 18 weeks I'll give it a try, and then just use it every few weeks at the most.

Well, it's nap time for the little ones so I better get them to bed and have a nap myself!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, you have a blog! There's a link between ours :) Congrats on your pregnancy! Very exciting! So is Josiah back on the Island then with Angela?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, Angela decided to bring him home for the summer. We're praying that everything goes well...
    I'm surprised you didn't find my blog earlier because I became a follower of yours weeks ago... I figured if you did stumble across it before we were telling people about the pregnancy, you'd keep your lips sealed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol well, oddly enough I didn't realize that I could stumble upon it. My mom did!! Yes, my non-computer savy Mother! She was reading my blog, and wondered what those pictures on the side were for. She was the one who told me then, lol But, yes, it was all kept quiet here :)

    ReplyDelete